Our hotel was right next door to the "Grand Ole Opry." Ryan surprised me tickets to see Rascal Flatts, on Wednesday night. What an experience to be at the "Grand Ole Opry" It is truly amazing! The show is still broadcasted on the radio each night, so they only have 2 hours to do the show, including commercials. It is really crazy how it all works. Each performer only did 2-3 songs. What a fun atmosphere!!
Canaan Smith
Exile
Lauren Alaina (from American Idol)
Rascal Flatts
For the finale, Lauren came out and performed with Rascal Flatts. We had better seats then what the pictures show. It was a lot of fun!! Thanks Ryan!!
On Friday, the 27th, we flew to Chicago, Illinois, where we met up with Ryan's sister, Jill and her husband Kyle. They moved to Illinois, a year ago. They have been to Utah a few times during the year, but it was fun to see where they are living now, and explore some of the sights with them.
Jill and I, at the Navy Pier in Chicago
A view of Chicago from the Pier
We then decided we were hungry and we would walk from the Pier to "Giordanos Famous Chicago Style Pizza." It was delicious!!!
Sears Tower - or what is now called Willis Tower.
Looking out at Chicago from the Skydeck. What a view!
Looking out over Lake Michigan
Jill & Kyle
They have built boxes out of plexiglass that come out the side of the building, which allow you to see to the ground.
After eating pizza and seeing the "Sears Tower" we got a taxi that took us back to the Pier. Chicago sits right along the water. The skyline is so beautiful. We then took a tour of the city, by boat. The Chicago river runs right though the city, and is completely amazing!!!
Looking up at the "Sears Tower" from the River
After the city tour, we headed back to Gridley, Ill, where Kyle and Jill are living. When we arrived from we greeted with a welcome sign that Courtney and Gage had made for us! They are too sweet!!!
On Saturday, we traveled to Carthage and to Nauvoo. Both places are so wonderful. There is such a spirit there. I love to go there. I have been many times, and still enjoy it. This was Ryan's first trip. I wish we would have had more time, but I guess there is always next time.
Carthage Jail
The Nauvoo Temple
The last time I was in Nauvoo, this site was nothing but grass, rocks, (where the foundation once was,) and the well for the baptismal font. Now it is a beautiful building! I wish we would have been able to do a session. This is Kyle and Jill's home temple. They have to travel almost 3 hours to attend the temple. I think they are so blessed to be able to attend such a historical place, but at the same time, I should feel more blessed to have a temple only 10 minutes away.
Looking out at the Mississippi River, from the Temple. What a view!!
Joesph and Hyrum
We were only able to see a few sights, due to the time of day. I really do hope we can make it back some day.
Grave site, of Joseph, Hyrum, and Emma Smith
Looking out to the Mississippi River from Joseph's home and burial site.
Mississippi River, where the saints crossed the river, when they were driven out of Nauvoo. I don't think I would have been strong enough to do what the saints had to do. What testimonies they must of had, to be able to leave their homes, during the cold winter months, and travel to a destination unknown. I am grateful for their strength and determination!!
Kyle & Jill with Gage, Hannah, and Gunner. They were missing two, Hunter and Courtney, who were at home.
Mississippi River
Looking back at the Nauvoo Temple from the River. What a sight that must have been to have to leave it.
Thank you Jill and Kyle for a wonderful trip and for showing us around Illinois! Hopefully next time we will be able to stay a little longer.






1 comment:
I can't tell you how many times Brandon and I dreamed of staying at the Opryland Hotel overlooking the gardens. Consider me jealous. I'm glad you had fun.
Post a Comment