Saturday, November 6, 2010

Grateful for a Handy Husband!

We have been living in our home for almost 9 years.  It was BRAND NEW when we moved in.  About a year or 2 into it we discovered that we had some kind of leak behind our front door.  We talked to our contractor and he sent one of his "Sub-contractors" down to look at the roof.  The kid said that he hadn't built our house and wasn't very familiar with it.  He helped Ryan "kind of" fix the roof and then left.  We never heard another word, from either the contractor or the sub-contractor.  Since then Ryan has tried to fix the problem.  Over the years he has gone into the attic on many occasions to seal the roof and wall.  He has even done it from the outside. It has been about 5 years since we have had any problems with the leak.  We thought we had it taken care of.  Well we had a huge rain storm about 2 weeks ago.  I got up Monday morning, and went to leave for work and found a HUGE water bubble about 1/4 the way down the inside wall, behind our front door.  I was sick!!!  Ryan was not here, but when he got home, he popped the bubble and began to tear into the wall.  As he torn into the Sheetrock, he discovered that it was completely soaked!  This is what we now have....




Last week he spent every minute he could, before the next storm came in, trying to re-route the water coming off the upper roof.  He put up new rain gutters, re-sealed the roof, etc.  He then watched the inside, as the storm came, only to discover that it is still leaking.  So....we now have to hire a roofer to come and help us fix it.  HOW STUPID, if only it had been done right when the house was built!  I was talking with the roofer on Thursday, and he said, "We are going to be aggressive about this and do it the way it should have been done in the first place."  That is all I needed to hear.  Hopefully we will be able to get it fixed!  I am aware that our contractor initially was or still is an IDIOT!  With other problems we have had in the past, as well as our neighbors....whose house was built by him as well.  There are 3 homes in our cultisac that have been built by him, and we all have had leaks of some sort!!!  WHAT AN IDIOT!  And now we have to pay for his mistakes!  Once we get the outside fixed, Ryan will be able to fix the inside...which I am very grateful for! 

3 comments:

JeNnA said...

Wow what a pain! Maybe you should sew :) you sure have the cutest girls ever!!!!!!

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry! Chalk another one up to our builder.

Lindsey Alise said...

Kim I miss your face! You are still my favorite!