We left on Friday, September 9th, for Jackson, WY. Where we met my dad, sister Kristin, niece Alexa, and my uncle Garth. We then drove over to Driggs, ID, where we met my brother-in-law, Jeff. The next morning, at 6:00 am, the 7 of us met up with 15 or so, more people from Soda, where we left on our 20.5 mile hike over the Tetons. What an amazing walk....exhausting, but exhilarating at the same time. We were with many people, that are runners and in much better shape then myself. But the goal was to finish before the last boat left and I was able to do just that.
We saw 5 moose within the first 2 miles of the hike, but not any more animals until the end. As we got going, we all were doing pretty good. By the middle, my uncle Garth was struggling, so my dad stayed with him, as the rest of us went on to catch the ferry at the end. The weather was perfect, not too hot, and not too cold. And my dear sister stayed with me the whole time, as we pushed each other (literally) up and over the mountain!
BEWARE - This is a picture overload!!!
Dad coming down the trail.
Garth, me, and Kristin headed UP the trail.
This was early in the hike, and Kristin was still smiling.
This was Sunset Lake. As we were hiking over the hill and down to the lake, Kristin and I thought we had reached the highest point. We were a little excited to sit and be able to eat lunch, and rest our weary feet....oh, how we were mistaken!! See that mountain on the other side....we still had to go up and over it!
Headed up and over the Mountain! Not loving life anymore. Ryan and Jeff were no help! They kept telling us...."just around this next corner." "Just over this hill"....blah, blah, blah! What I learned from the trip....not to believe what Ryan and Jeff say!
Looking back at Sunset Lake....and we still weren't done going up! The worst was yet to come. After my dad said..."That's why I didn't tell you!" WHAT!
Officially at the top of our ascend, looking at the back side of the Grand Teton.
We went up 4000 feet in 10 miles.
This is where we were headed...the Grand is on the right. I have to admit that I think the way down was much easier (Ryan would disagree)!!
Grand Teton
We made it to the top around 12:30, and had lunch with the rest of the group....minus my dad and uncle. They were still a ways behind us. As we were getting ready to leave, my dad came up over the ridge. It was nice to be able to experience this with him. He then went back to help my uncle, as we continued on. I have an AWESOME dad!!!
Kristin, Dad, Me.
On the way down. I do think the way down was much easier then the way up! It still hurt, the consistent pound on your toes and legs, but at least I could breathe! It is amazing what you can do when you can breathe! I am so out of shape!
A moose that we saw, just laying along the river, at the end of hike. The sad part was, Kristin and I had gotten to the point where we just wanted to get to the ferry. So the boys stayed for a quick picture. We were surrounded by such beautiful scenery, but if you took your eyes off the trail, you risked tripping over a rock. And if you stopped, you risked not starting again.
The ferry taking us across Jenny's Lake to the parking lot. We made it! Looking back at the canyon we had just come through.
We made it to the ferry, but unfortunately my dad and uncle did not. The last boat was at 6:00 pm. When they missed the boat it added 2 more miles to their already long day. They had to hike around Jenny's Lake to the parking lot. So we went and got the car and moved it to the north parking lot. Ryan and Jeff, then went back around the lake to meet my dad and help. These are some the pictures they took as they hiked back around.
The boys made it back to the car at 8:15....14 hours since they had left that morning. The only wounds were a big bruise on my leg (which I still don't know how I got it), 2 bruised toes, and a blister on the bottom of Ryan's foot. What an amazing day!

1 comment:
You are my hero! That is amazing, Congratulations!
Post a Comment