Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Our 1st "Non-Stress Test"

We had our first "Non-Stress Test" (NST) today. I think they should call it a "Stress-Test." However, I felt much better having my sister-in-law there, being my nurse. They have to put the monitors on each of the babies, and their heart beats have to look like a wave so many times in 20 minutes. Baby A did great, Baby B had a harder time. And to add to that they also put the monitor on to see if you are having contractions. Appartently, I was having a lot of little contractions. Alot that I couldn't feel, but also some that were bigger, that I could feel. The contractions and not getting a real good "wave"on Baby B's heart rate were the most concerning for Julie. They ended up calling my doctor and he wanted to run another test as well as check to see if I have started dilating. This is where the stress part comes in. Julie came in and said..."You're going to be here awhile." The only thing I kept thinking, was...I am only 32 weeks...it is too earlier to be having these babies. The extra test...I couldn't even tell you the name...if it had come back positive would have said that I would be having the twins in the next two weeks. However, the final verdict was negative...YEAH! and that I have not started to dilated yet. Which I think we all started to breathe a little easier when we heard. By the end my doctor was there (due to him already being at the hospital), but he stopped by to tell me the good news!!

Rylie and Sydnie were troopers through the whole thing. My mom was actually at the hospital with my grandpa...he has been there since Sunday. But she took the girls for the first part and then brought them down later. Once they were back in my room they sat and watched T.V. and Aunt Julie got them some lunch. Thanks mom and Julie! The funny part is, is that I have to go see my doctor tomorrow and then go back to the hospital on Friday for another "non-stress test." Julie will be working when I go back in next week.....hopefully she won't avoid me and make someone else do it!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I think non stress test is a seriously misleading name for those tests. I'm glad your other test came back negative! You will make it and they will be perfect! Good luck on the names. John still can't believe I named Riley after the guy on National Treasure. Can't remember if I told you that story or not. If I didn't I'll tell it to you some time. I wish you didn't have to go to the hospital so much. They are no fun!

katie said...

glad to hear that everything worked out ok. just tell them to hold on a few more weeks. there just excited to see you. mine on the other hand, hears his brother and sister and would probably like to stay in there a lot longer.