I finally shot a turkey yesterday morning. The Hunt started Monday morning so with the permission of Kim we were off to the hills. I have never hunted turkeys before so luckily I have some good friends who have. Tyson found the Turkeys and Cole helped call and direct us on what to do. So for the first two mornings we were on the hill right as it was getting light. Turkeys were calling and gobbling every where. There were times it got exciting when you would think that they were coming your way. We all had to be at work so we didn't stay out to long. It also seemed that when we called the turkeys would go the other way. It was frustrating at certain some points. They are a very smart bird.
So Wednesday morning we decides to get up even earlier. We were gone from the house at 430 am. We wanted to go in the dark and get up behind the turkeys before they knew we were there. We made the hike in the dark and got a little lost in the dark. We knew the general area we were in but we wanted a specific spot to set up in. We made it to a clearing and set up to wait for some light to shine on the area. As soon and the sun came up the birds were gobbling every where. We had some birds come in just over the hill but out of sight. We couldn't get them any closer. So Cole and I started our way towards where we thought there might be some birds. I was taking the lead and we were trying to be as quiet as we could be. We would call but no answer. So as we walked we came upon this clearing at the top of a hill with grass and sage brush. Just as I looked into the sage brush I seen two red head poking there head in the air to see what was going on. As soon as I seen that I raised my gun and took aim at one of them and BANG!. Turkey down. We ran up to check him out and the hill side came alive with birds. They were flying every where like big helicopters taking flight. It was amazing. We took some pictures and then we were off to get to work. It all happened so fast. Cole said he was staring at the ground when he noticed me raising my gun. He was surprised. I would like to thank Cole and Tyson for helping me out on this hunt. I cannot wait to do it again. It took me four years to draw this tag. I hope it don't take any longer to go again. Defiantly one of the funnest hunts I have been on.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment