It started Thursday night (7/2). I started spotting and as the night wore on, I started having more contractions with more spotting. The contractions got to be 6 minutes apart. I spent most of the night watching the clock and keeping track of contractions. At 3:00 am I finally called the hospital and they were not that worried. I had been talking to my Sister-in-law Julie earlier that night and she called the hospital earlier. They knew I was coming in for another stress test the next morning so the nurse just left it up to me. She said, "If the spotting changes color and/or the contractions get more intense then come in." By morning both had settled down so I never did.
We went in at 12:30 pm on Friday (7/3) for the NST. The nurses did know that I was still spotting and they continued to watch the contractions, that were quite regular at that point. About 1 1/2 hours into it the nurse called the "on-call doctor" to see what to do about the contractions. The doctor wanted them to check me and if I was dialated less then a 3 and 70% effaced, they would let me go home. I was almost a 4 and 80%. So they said I would be staying the night. They gave me a shot to stop the contractions and 1 of two steroid shots to help the babies lungs. They had to wait at least 12 hours for the other steriod shot...24 if we could. So I was hoping to go home after the 2nd dose of steriod shots, which would have been at 2:00 today. The contractions stopped and I felt great. They brought in dinner later that night around 7:00 and as I sat up to eat, my water broke.
They then moved me to a bigger labor and delivery room where they had to start my contractions back up so that I would dialate. Such a process! They wanted me to labor on my own for 2 hours before they started the PIT. The room that they moved me to had a great view of the USU Stadium so we had great seats for the fireworks. After the fireworks they started the PIT and about an hour later they started my Epidural. I just have to say...Epidurals are wonderful! I then moved a centimeter and hour and when I reached an 8 they then moved me to the OR just in case of a C-section. I guess it is standard for twins. Once we were there and my doctor was there (who fortunately was "on-call" for the rest of the weekend) broke my water the rest of the way and in two pushes we had two babies. I do have to admit it was one of my most easy labors. It is easy to push them out when they are little like that.
Hallie Grace was born at 4:05am. Once her head had come out, three golf ball sized blood clots came out and she was very pale and not breathing well. The doctor said that I had, had a rupture of some sort when she delived, something to do with the placenta. She lost some blood which made the doctors very concerned. As I was laying there, Ryan was watching everything that they were doing and all I could see was her little hand...which was moving periodically. Nothing else was and she was not making any sounds. Very scary!
This is a team of 4 working on Hallie. This was right after she came out.
Remie Ryan was born at 4:08 am. She made a few more sounds then Hallie had which made me feel a little better. This is a picture of her, but as you can see she has little dimples on her chest because she is trying so hard to breathe.
This is the team of 3 working on Remie.
This is pictures of each of them in the NICU, they are both on ventilators at this point. The first one is Hallie. She still was very pale and not breathing well. They tested her red blood cell count and it was very low, so they decided to give her a blood transfusion to help.
This is Remie with the ventilator. They ended up giving her Serfactin to help with her lungs.
I wasn't able to go see the girls until around 10:00. Due to the epidural still wearing off and also Ryan had ran home to freshen up and the nurse wanted me to wait and have him help me down to the NICU.
This was a little later in the afternoon. My mom, dad, and grandma were able to go in and see the girls. This is my dad with Hallie. By this point Remie had been off the ventilator and they had just taken Hallie off. Hallie still has tubes in her nose to help her.
This is my mom and Grandma Wilson with Remie.
Remie sucking on a binkie...YEAH! She was hating it at first.
Hallie with the tubes still helping her get air.
To add to all of the craziness of the day, we also got to see Rylie and Sydnie for the first time in 2 weeks. They have been camping with my parents during that time. Ryan and I were suppose to go up and get them Friday night. Obviously that didn't happen. My mom and dad brought them back with them to see the babies. Unfortunately, Rylie and Sydnie can't go into the NICU, so they have only seen pictures of Hallie and Remie. They felt pretty bad. But they will get to see and hold them soon enough! This is me and Rylie sitting on the bed. Ryan had just brought the laptop so I was checking up on Facebook!
Here is their information:
Born July 4th, 2009 (at 34 weeks 3 days)
Hallie Grace 4lbs. 1 oz. 4:05am 17 inches long
Remie Ryan 4lbs. 7 oz. 4:08am 17 inches long
They both have a LONG road ahead of them. The nurses haven't even had them try eating eating. They both have IV's that are giving them their proteins, fats, etc. for now. However, they both have made leaps and bounds today. It has been exciting to see how much better they are both doing! They will be taking it one step at a time.
For me, I am doing great, just tried. I am hoping to go home tomorrow, I will have to wait and see what the doctor says tomorrow when he comes in.
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers! Thanks to our family who have been so great to take Rylie and Sydnie. We love you! We will try to keep things updated as we learn more.

13 comments:
They are such sweet little girls. I am so glad you put your pictures on your blog. I am serious call me if you need anything. Luv Ya,
Jody
Congrats! What an exciting day!! they are beautiful!!
Just heard the news and had to check the blog. Congratulations They are so cute! Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys, All will be well, Hang in there. Glad your doing well Kim! Thanks for sharing. Mindee
so excited for your family. Love you guys, see you this weekend.
Very cute little babies! We will keep them in our prayers.
Happy 4th of July? CONGRATULATIONS! What beautiful babies!
Congratulations!
Congrats! That is exciting. If I would have known you were at the hospital on Friday I would have stopped and said hi before I left. Anyways your family is in our thoughts and prayers and we hope they continue to get better every minute! Congrats.
Kim that is so exciting and SCARY at the same time. I'm glad to hear you are doing great and the girls are doing better. Congratulations! I can't believe you have this all blogged, it's probably a good thing because as time goes on you wont have any time lol!!! Get some SLEEP.
They are beautiful!!!! How fun they will have fireworks for their birthday every year! Let me know if you need anything. Seriously! I know you keep offering to help me but I can help you too! =) You are in our prayers! They will do great and be home before you know it!
Oh my goodness! I happened to check my blog tonight and saw your comment. It intrigued me so I came to your blog. Needless to say, I am in shock at the wonderful news. I did not even know you were expecting, let alone expecting twins! As I read your blog, it was like taking a walk down memory lane. My experience with Ethan and Emily was oh so very similar. I am just thrilled for you and your sweet family! I can't wait to take their pictures! I'll keep checking your blog to chart the progress of your little angels! Take care! Wendi
Oh my goodness, they are SO beautiful! Usually when babies are small they look kind of like aliens, but they are both so rosy and cute.
I am so glad that you are all doing well, it will probably be a bumpy road for a while, but I what a blessing!
You are amazing Kim...way to go!!!!
Congratulations, they are so beautiful! We hope and pray all of you continue doing well!
Post a Comment